Days 17 & 18 - Creative Toolkits & Desirability Testing
A way to encourage creative play that help participants to inspire design choices and opens up activities and encourages creative expression.
What I Learned:
I always thought creative toolkits were just an excuse for adults to play with lego at work, but upon reading the chapter I learned its not always lego that is used. I also learned that there are several different "kits" that can be applied individually depending on the situation and what you're trying to solve for. Kits can also be fused or done in tandem to help apply more creative elements. The kits I learned about are:
Flexible Modeling - Attach and remove with 3D forms.
Interface - A kit comprised of a rough paper based design system
Collage - Shapes, images, words, symbols and more for interpretation
Drawing - Classic pen and paper for a range of activities
Large - Combination of kits 1-4
Previously I've used an interface kit in a creative toolkit exercise but with this one I'm using it as an excuse to play lego with my kids. So using the Lego Duplo system, I'm seeing what they come up with. I posed to them the problem that we needed something to help us travel around the world. This is what they came up with:
Row 1: (1) Beginning the build (2) A boat (3) A seat (that is on a stick)
Row 2: (1) A flying tower (2) Superheros (complete with cape and one is a bird) (3) A flower (because)
I found that playing with a creative kit, helped to open up the creativity of the situation and also helped to break free of design norms and what objects should look like. It helped me to think what could be.
A method that shifts focus from what a team thinks is "best" for the customer and what the customer actually thinks and feels.
What I Learned:
A simple but effect technique to gain emotional insight into a participants experience of a product. It's carried out with adjective cards that give a participant a range to choose their emotional response. I like that this method, like the kano analysis (see day 5), moves away from what the team/stakeholder wants and focuses back on what is important to the customer. In my opinion, UX can become so blurred on what is right for the customer and what we "think" is right for the customer, so this method helps to test, even with lo-fi prototypes, to see what the customer responds to best.
Once again, I enlisted the help of my wife to help me study and experience a rough version of this method. I asked her to play around with the app "All Trails" and then presented her with an assortment of adjective cards I had prepared before. This is how it went.
I started out by having the participant sit with the All Trails app for about 5 mins and explore what it could do.
After the 5 minutes were up, I presented her with 2 sets of "cards". The first set, I asked her to pick out ones that described the over all experience. The second set, I asked her to pick out ones that described the look and feel of the app.
The result was that she felt like the app was "useful" and "Usable" and that the looks was "organized". When I pressed for more detail on why she chose those descriptions, she said it was useful as it was giving her the information she was looking for. In terms of usability, she expressed how she couldn't find the filter to determine if hikes were kid-friendly but that didn't taint the experience for her.